Thursday, October 4, 2007

we've got problems

We just finished reading The Guest in my Asia/Pacific Post-Colonial Lit class and I have to present on it tomorrow (actually today, but you know what I mean). I've been doing a lot of research on North Korea and the Korean War. I just finished watching this video and am completely in awe.

http://one.revver.com/watch/201769

It's about the the American Imperialist Massacre Remembrance Museum in N Korea which details the atrocities committed by American troops during the Korean war (1950). But according to the book I just finished reading, these claims are false. The author, Hwang Sok-Yong, who personally spoke with survivors of the tragedy, reveals that the Koreans actually attacked each other when Christians and Communists clashed over who had the right to govern.

I don't mean this to be a politically charged post but... it's just so disturbing to me. I mean, N Korea in general gives me the willies, especially since its been in the news so much lately. It's like a country that exists in some strange parallel universe. It's almost hard to believe that North and South Koreans are actually the same nationality, or at least half a decade ago they were. Now they are a completely separate people.

This is too heavy, I say. I can't wrap my mind around it. All I know is, the existence of this museum does not bode well for Americans worldwide. Especially given our current situation... I can just imagine more of these places appearing throughout the rest of the world. In fact, I wonder how many such institutions already exist that we, in our happy American bubble, never hear about.

In conclusion: If I were to become an expat, where would I be able to live?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why would you become an expat (one who is banished from own country/withdraws from own country)?

and you can always live in peaceful countries like Canada and... uh... hm... Switzerland I think? hehe The point is that those places have high standards of living AND don't got beef with anyone (except maybe America XD).

I know I wanna go live in Australia/New Zealand, Canada, or Switzerland eventually ^.^

galsd said...

I would think that you'd go to England and drown your sorrows at a good ol' pub. :)